Monday, April 21, 2014


When I was a young girl, I was constantly writing. I started with one of those pale pink books with a tiny lock and key on the side, inscribed with "My Diary"on the front in fancy script. Once I tired of that, I began scribbling on everything--note pads, my mother's grocery lists--you name it.

Then, when I started high school, my Freshman English teacher announced that we were required to keep a journal a part of our grade. "You need to buy a spiral notebook dedicated solely to this assignment," she told us, "and you must write at least one paragraph every day. I will give you 15 minutes at the beginning of every class period to write." 

At first we all balked; what could we write about? Or more specifically, what could we write about that we wanted our teacher to read? My first entries were stilted and self-conscious, written just to fulfill the class assignment: "Today I was late to math class because I couldn't get my locker combination to work," or "We got out of class for a pep rally today. I sure hope we win the game tonight."

Gradually, however, I loosened up and began to write about whatever was on my mind at the time. I got used to coming into class and writing every morning, and at the end of that year, I had a chronicle of the ups and downs of my Freshman year. Plus, I got an "A" in the class.

My Sophomore English teacher didn't require we keep a journal so I got out of the habit of writing daily. After a few months I realized I missed it, so I bought a spiral notebook all on my own and began writing at home. I didn't write every night, but at least three times a week I would pull out that notebook a scribble away, just for me. A habit was born.

I was a teenager then; now I am in my fifties and I am still scribbling away in notebooks. Over the years friends have given me fancier journals, with illustrations or inspirational quotes at the top of each page, but I like the utilitarianism of a plain spiral notebook. I have a huge box in my closet filled to the brim with journals, my entire life in enclosed in a series of spiral notebooks. Now I am going to share some of it with you.


2 comments:

  1. I've been keeping journals for years. It's interesting to go back and see what happened in my life 30 years ago.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I found out that my "voice}" has definitely changed over the years.

      Delete