Thursday, July 3, 2014

Homemade Ice Cream and other Independence Day Memories

I can never think about the 4th of July without thinking of my father. Actually, I can't think of many holidays without thinking of him, because holidays with my family always involve lots of good food, and my father loved to eat as much as my mother loved to cook for him.

 Dad's birthday was last Sunday, June 29--he would've been 91 years old. For his birthday every year he would request his favorite, a German Chocolate cake. The only real German Chocolate cake is made from scratch. Some bakeries (that will remain nameless) try to sell a German Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, but that is not a real German Chocolate cake. The real thing is made by measuring sugar and flour and melting German Chocolate squares, and covering the cake with a topping made of evaporated milk, flaked coconut, and pecans. It is labor-intensive but so worth it. Delicious!

Five days after his birthday, we would gather again to celebrate the 4th of July. That usually meant grilled hot dogs & hamburgers, potato salad, baked beans, and my Dad's other favorite--homemade ice cream. My mother would cook a rich custard of eggs, vanilla flavoring and other ingredients, pour it in the freezer, and we would gather on the back patio to take turns cranking the ice cream freezer and pouring rock salt on the ice as we cranked. Eventually we bought an electric freezer, but I have many fond memories of the old-fashioned hand crank freezer we used for many years. Gradually it would be harder and harder to turn the crank until my Dad would announce that the ice cream was done, and as he pulled the paddle out of the ice cream, we would all fight over who would get to lick the paddle first. There is nothing as good as enjoying a big bowl of homemade ice cream as you watch the fireworks on the 4th of July.

We lost Dad 10 years ago but my memories of celebrating with him--the heartfelt prayers he would say as he blessed every meal, his patriotism, his love for his family and his love for good food--remain fresh. I will think of him tomorrow, and be thankful for all our many blessings, as we celebrate Independence Day. I wish everyone a wonderful holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment